Why Hire a Life Coach?
The reason you hire a life coach is to achieve your life improving goals.
Coaching works for several reasons:
- The synergy between the coach and client creates momentum.
- Better goals are set - ones that naturally pull the client toward the goal rather than goals that require the client to push themselves to the goal.
- The client develops new skills, and these skills translate into more success.
What Is Life Coaching?
Life Coaching is when someone helps you with the learning tools to set goals and establish accountability for personal and professional success.
Life coaching has grown exponentially since its start in 1992, because it works so well and generates such valuable and enjoyable life changing results!
What does a Life coach do?
A personal coach does just what an athletic coach or music teacher does, only in a more complete and bigger way. A coach challenges you and takes the time to find out what winning in life means to you. A coach is your partner in living the life you know you can accomplish, personally and professionally. A coach is someone to hold you accountable for your life, to make sure you really do live up to your potential.
No matter where you are in life, there is always a desire for more. More success, more money, closer relationships, a deeper feeling of meaning in life, more balance, etc. It is the nature of people to want to attain more, become more, be more, and we all struggle with how to get what we're looking for.
Most people believe that "hard work and doing it on your own" are the keys to finding the life, success, money, or happiness that they seek. They believe that a price must be paid to attain what they want, and often that price is poor health, not having enough time to enjoy life, strained family relationships or lessened productivity. The saddest part is that, even though this effort may result in more of something, it is often not the something you had in mind, and you are back where you started, or worse, further from your real intentions.
How long must I commit if I start working with a coach?
Most coaches ask for a three to six-month commitment but usually, let you stop immediately if coaching is not working for you right now. Very, very few coaches ask for a written agreement or contract. For the corporate client, however, a signed agreement is simply good business.
What about people who are already doing great in their lives. Why would they need a coach?
People that are successful and do great in life usually have a life coach it could have been a parent a friend or a mentor, successful people are always trying to expand their knowledge and having a professional life coach by your side is a road to success.
How Does Life Coaching Differ from Therapy?
Although life coaching and therapy can complement each other, life coaching is not therapy.
Through coaching, you develop strategic actions to help you move forward. Coaching does not attempt to explain behaviors, delve into your past, or identify pathology.
Are mentoring and coaching identical?
No. People often confuse mentoring and coaching. Though related, they are not the same. A mentor may coach, but a coach is not a mentor. Mentoring is “relational,” while coaching is “functional.” There are other significant differences.
- Managers coach all of their staff as a required part of the job
- Coaching takes place within the confines of a formal manager-employee relationship
- Focuses on developing individuals within their current jobs
- Interest is functional, arising out of the need to ensure that individuals can perform the tasks required to the best of their abilities
- Relationship tends to be initiated and driven by an individual’s manager
- Relationship is finite - ends as an individual transfers to another job
- Takes place outside of a line manager-employee relationship, at the mutual consent of a mentor and the person being mentored
- Is career-focused or focuses on professional development that may be outside a mentoree’s area of work
- Relationship is personal - a mentor provides both professional and personal support
- Relationship may be initiated by a mentor or created through a match initiated by the organization
- Relationship crosses job boundaries
- Relationship may last for a specific period of time (nine months to a year) in a formal program, at which point the pair may continue in an informal mentoring relationship
Can I hire a coach just for a short-term, special project?
Yes. Some clients hire a coach to help them accomplish specific goals or projects. Usually, however, the client keeps working with the coach after that because there are even more interesting things to accomplish.
Note: Life Coaching is not the same as therapy. If you need to resolve an issue from your past, have an addiction to drugs or alcohol, or have recently experienced trauma or loss, please seek the professional help from a qualified therapist or social worker right away.
We recommend LETS TALK COUNSELING.COM for a list of Therapist, Counselor, and Mental Health Professional providing HIPAA compliant online video counseling. Click Here to be transferred to Letstalkcounseling.com website.
If you didn’t find the answers you’re looking for? Post your Question here.
The form was successfuly sent!
The validation of the form was not successful!
There was an error sending the form, try again later or contact your system administrator.